Camping is the perfect time to try new things, including cooking over a live fire. You won't believe how helpful some of these food hacks can be.
1. Paper Bag Breakfast
- Line the bottom of a paper lunch bag with half strips of bacon.
- Crack an egg into the bacon basket, fold the top of the bag down and poke a hole through it with a pointy stick.
- Prop with rocks, or hold bag on the stick about 4"-5" over the hot coals for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pull out the stick with an oven mitt.
- Open the bag and fold down the paper. Eat right out of the brown bag.
2. Fire Baked Orange Muffins
- Cut oranges in half. Scoop out the orange segments to eat alone and reserve the hollow peel shells.
- Pour in muffin batter until the peel is about 2/3 full. Add berries or chocolate chips if desired.
- Place the tops back on the oranges and move them over to your fire.
- Carefully place the batter-filled oranges on a piece of vented foil directly in your hot coals and let bake for 15 to 25 minutes.
3. Cinnamon Rolls on a Stick
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in small bowl.
- Separate crescent rolls and wrap them around the skewer.
- Roll it in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cook over campfire for 5 minutes, rotating frequently.
- Optional: Mix 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 2-3 tbsp water together to make a glaze and drizzle over cooked roll-up.
4. Pre-Scrambled Eggs in a Bottle
- Before you head off for the campsite, crack all of the eggs you want to take into a bowl.
- Whisk them up and transfer to a sturdy bottle or jar with a reliable lid.
- You can add salt, pepper, and other seasoning to save time when preparing meals.
- Store the bottle your cooler box, and take it out whenever you’re ready to cook your eggs.
5. Campfire Baked Apples
- Cut out the core of the apple, and fill the core with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Wrap the apple in a large piece of heavy foil, twisting the extra foil into a tail for a handle.
- Place the apple in the coals of a campfire or barbeque and let cook 5 to 10 minutes, until softened.
- Remove and unwrap, being careful of the hot sugar.